Second open call for MagiC Carpets artists database is ON!
In 2022, Wrocław Institute of Culture carried out the first recruitment for the MagiC Carpets artist database. Thanks to it, they have collected portfolios of artists living all over Poland. The artists selected by the curators of MagiC Carpets – Barbara Gryka and Filip Kijowski – could go on a month-long artistic residency at one of the 16 partner art institutions. In 2023, Wrocław Institute of Culture is opening another open call for emerging artists, expanding the database, and they are waiting for applications until January 31. Creators who applied last year do not have to re-submit their portfolio.
Apply to network of artists as part of the Creative Europe platform – MagiC Carpets 2023-2025
- Who can apply?
- How to apply?
- What are the benefits for the artist?
- What skills should the artist have?
- How does the selection of residents proceed?
- Open call regulations
- MagiC Carpets partners
Open call is addressed to emerging artists (at early stage of their careers):
→ artists representing various fields of art (e.g. visual arts, theatre, literature and others)
→ living in Poland
→ who want to go for a residency by 31 January 2024 (detailed dates of the residency are established with the hosting institution)
→ who are interested in working with the local community, residents of large housing complexes (e.g. blocks of flats), ecology and sustainable art, critical approaches to tourism, palimpsests, working with children, geology, socially engaged art in public space, facilitation, photography, sound art, video art, documentary art.
HOW TO APPLY?
To apply to the MC artists database, submit in English:
→ a portfolio in .pdf format and a CV
→ answers to the questions: What would you like to learn through working with communities? Why is it important to work artistically with local communities? A statement of 1500-2000 characters with spaces.
The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2023. Send your application via e-mail to: [email protected] with the following title: NAME and SURNAME – MagiC Carpets.
What are the benefits for the artist?
Artists who would like to be included in the database used by the project curators, after an initial selection by a WIK curator, will have a chance to go for a month-long residency in one of the fifteen partner institutions of the MagiC Carpets project. However, it is the curators who make the final decision on inviting the artist.
The invited residents will work together with local communities and the aim is to unite them through the artistic project. The whole process will be facilitated by an emerging curator. In some cases will have the opportunity to present their project at events with the public, e.g. at a festival, an open meeting or an exhibition.
What skills should the artist have?
→ a will to work with local communities
→ have a strong motivation on learing new things and experimenting, trying their forces in artistic disciplines they know less
→ speaking English
How does the selection of residents proceed?
- The curator representing the Wrocław Institute of Culture (WIoC) selects a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 7 submitted applications.
- Then she sends them to curators of partner institutions who may be interested in cooperation. Artists’ submissions are matched to the themes of residency projects prepared by MagiC Carpets curators from various countries at the beginning of 2023. Curators’ profiles are available HERE.
- If the curator of a given institution wants to learn more about the artist, the curator of the WIoC organizes a joint online meeting. During the online meeting, the artists have a chance to present themselves and talk about possible cooperation.
- After the conversation, the curator has a few days to consider working with the artist.
- When the whole process is successful and the curator is interested in cooperation, the artist is invited to the residency, which takes place on a fixed date, no later than January 31, 2024.
- The date is proposed by the probation officer and the resident’s host institution.